Free MDB file to MySQL Conversion

December 4th, 2008 by Robert

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Free MDB file to MySQL Conversion”.

9 Responses to “Free MDB file to MySQL Conversion”

1. chris says:

i found the site useful

2. Robert says:

Thanks for the note, Chris

3. Phil says:

Wow, clear and effective, thanks a lot.
    I was looking for simple tools to convert a big MDB file to MYSQL and you just did it!

4. Robert says:

I’m glad you found it useful, Phil. Thanks for the note.

5. ACES says:

Chris, I am really glad I found this site.

6. ACES says:

Robert I apologize for Calling you Chris. Robert, the notes your wrote above were a great relief for me. Thanks alot.

7. Robert says:

You’re welcome Aces – I’m glad you found it helpful.

8. rp says:

Hi,

I was looking for the best way to transfer data from large MDB file (~2GB) to MySQL. The reason was poor full-text search speed of MS Access obviously. Your script helped me a lot. I would not probably find a way to connect to MDB using a COM object.

A few notes (please correct me if I am wrong or inaccurate):
    1) ‘DefaultDir=C:\DataDir’ in connection string is redundant,
    2) ‘$rs->Fields(0)’ could be specified as ‘$rs->Fields(“FieldName”)’ which is a clearer way of specifying the source field,
    3) if anyone is going to process such a file one should cancel time limit for running the script as it is likely going to run for more than 30sec.: ini_set(“max_execution_time”, 0); set_time_limit(0);
    4) when inserting data to MySQL they should be treated with mysql_real_escape_string,
    5) If records in MDB are huge (>1MB) you will probably face a problem when inserting them to MySQL. You can get away with: mysql_query(“SET GLOBAL max_allowed_packet=1073741824”); – which sets the allowed size of inserted packet to max.

Again, many thanks for the script.

9. […] Pingback: Free MDB file to MySQL Conversion – Good Feeling Place […]